Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Week 34: Brains*

My NST went well this morning. Baby's heart rate looked good, never dipping below 140 and rising when he would wiggle around. The only downside was the test only lasted about 20 minutes, and the chair was super comfy; I wouldn't have minded spending another hour or so there.

My e-mail newsletter from Fit Pregnancy this week tells me that Baby weighs five pounds or more and will continue to gain about two or more pounds in the next six weeks. It also tells me that Baby may be prepping for Harvard right now:
Now that your baby's brain has formed billions of neurons, it must accomplish the even more complex feat of hooking the neurons and synapses together. Your baby's brain is forming trillions of connections, making it possible for her to learn in the womb. All of this brain development may be the reason that your baby sleeps frequently at this stage. She may even be dreaming—her eyes dart around rapidly just as an adult's might in REM sleep.
(I may have read into that a little.)

They go on to tell me it's time to have our car seat purchased (oops!), diapers (not yet), some outfits (yep, thanks to Heather!) and a place for baby to sleep (yep, and more on that later).

With a shower coming soon, we will have lots more for Baby and I will feel closer to being ready. Although, I have to admit I do feel like it's a lot easier to care for Baby where he's living at the moment than it will be later. Still, I am looking forward to meeting him in person (just not for a few more weeks).

*Brain - the part of the central nervous system enclosed in the cranium of humans and other vertebrates, consisting of a soft, convoluted mass of gray and white matter and serving to control and coordinate the mental and physical actions; zombie food

1 comment:

  1. On the diaper front if you don't have a Costco or Sam's club membership. I'd suggest getting one even if its just for the diapers. The are quite a bit cheaper specially if your little guy will need name brand. Wyatt had to have Pampers brand because otherwise he'd get bad diaper rash. That is unless you are going to cloth diaper route.

    ReplyDelete