Friday, March 18, 2011

Melodious*

I had trouble sleeping the other night (no surprise there). It was 3 a.m., and my hips hurt, and my brain wouldn't turn off, and Baby was wide awake too -- kicking me in the ribs. I pulled out my phone and queued up Pandora to listen to some soothing music. After a little while, the earbud was uncomfortable in my left ear so I took it out and let it fall against my belly. Baby went still. I didn't realize he could hear the music through that tiny earbud, but the nurse assures me he can.

Because I don't have an actual subscription to Pandora (yet), we get ads. Just as I was starting to drift off, on comes a spoken ad for Living Social: "Hey Pandora Listener ..." Baby went nuts. He started kicking and throwing a little alien tantrum. Once the music started up again, he settled down. It was quite cute. Of course, it would have been cuter if it wasn't 3:30 in the morning and Mommy hadn't been exhausted.

Now I'm thinking it might be worth the $36 a year to subscribe to Pandora and avoid the interrupting ads. Baby seems to enjoy the Acoustic New Age station and will probably enjoy it here in the outside world. But he sure does not like his music interrupted by talking.

*Melodious - producing melody;  sweet-sounding; musical

5 comments:

  1. Cute! Music truly soothes not only the savage beast, but the squirming baby, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wyatt loves music too. For part of the time that I was pregnant I was still singing in the church choir so I'm sure he got his fill then. I still turn on his cd player for nap and bedtime. Music does have a calming effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder of wonders! While I'm sorry for yor unfortunate middle of the night experience, I'm also kind of relieved I'm not the only one who finds that ad incredibly annoying. There's something about that little chickie's voice that makes me fantasize about strangling her...in general, the ads don't really bother me that much, so $36 seems a bit much, but can I outlast her???

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Elizabeth, I did NOT outlast her. I decided the $3 a month was worth it. And last night, as I lay listening to quiet piano music, I was able to drift back to sleep without interruption -- and Baby settled down and stopped kicking me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like for once I made the right call. Living Social has now changed their ads, and the new woman's voice is to me MUCH more tolerable/ignorable. I've had a Living Social subscription for a couple of months and was actually thinking of getting rid of both it and Pandora, pretty much just out of spite. The she-devil irritated me so badly I'd just about go into convulsions as soon as I heard the dreaded "Hey!..." Glad we are all at peace now!

    ReplyDelete