Wednesday, October 6, 2010

In the news

Wow. The S.O. sent me a link this morning to a BBC News Health story about pregnancy and alcohol. According to the story, "Drinking one or two units of alcohol a week during pregnancy does not raise the risk of developmental problems in the child, a study has suggested."

It goes on to say, "Children born to light drinkers appeared slightly less likely to suffer behavioural problems, and scored higher on cognitive tests, compared with women who stopped during pregnancy."

Considering that most of the news that comes out about pregnant women is all doom and gloom, this was kind of a refreshing change. Granted the story also says, "Official advice remains that women abstain completely during pregnancy." And I don't plan to imbibe unless my doctor tells me I should (not can, should). Still, it's nice to read some news about pregnancy that doesn't lay a huge guilt trip on mom.

1 comment:

  1. Woo-hoo for the NON-guilt trip news. Any time alcohol is given the thumbs up is great news to share. Well, unless you're an alcoholic, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete