Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I get tips

I subscribed to an e-mail newsletter from "Fit Pregnancy." I had flipped through the magazine once and it seemed to have some decent information. But we have so many magazines around the house, I really didn't want more.

For the most part, I do find the weekly e-mails helpful. They tell me about how the fetus is developing and the changes I'm going through based on my particular week of pregnancy.

Today's e-mail newsletter has some interesting tidbits. For instance, at 11 weeks:
"Your baby is about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches long and weighs about a third of an ounce, the size of a peanut. This is a big week for your baby's growth — she'll double in height. At the end of the week, her head and body will be roughly equal in length. This week also starts an active phase for her — she can turn somersaults, roll over, flex her fingers, hiccup, and stretch. You won't be able to feel her movement for another month and a half."
But then it gives me some tips:
"Are you feeling tired and weak? Try eating a high-iron food, such as linguine with clam sauce, a glass of prune juice, milk with a few tablespoons of blackstrap molasses, liver and onions, or a well-done hamburger."
I'm sure high-iron foods are really, really good for me, especially right now. But just the thought of most of the things they suggest turn my stomach. In fact, some of those things would make me gag even if I weren't 11 weeks pregnant. Prune juice? Liver? Ugh. I love healthy tips, and try to follow good advice, but this is definitely one piece of advice I'll have to skip. I'll find other ways to get my iron. Thank you very much.

4 comments:

  1. Blurgh. Now I'm queasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Heather. It's gross, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liver and onions is okay about once a year ... maybe. But prune juice? Ah, no. Thanks goodness for iron supplements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awhile back I was trying to get more iron into my diet and I tried liver exactly twice. It made me ill both times. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I was actually pregnant.

    ReplyDelete