Sunday, April 1, 2012

Daddy Talk: Scrapes and bruises

Your son is not an action figure.

That's the lesson I learned today when taking the boy to the park. It happened in slow motion but I still didn't have time to grab him before the trike turned over. As the boy was crying, I thought he was just scared and poo pooed Pam when she rushed to pick him up. Then I saw the bump on his head and realized I am a really bad dad. It was a superficial scrape on his head and he really was more scared than anything but it still bothered me that I was too slow to grab him before he hit the ground.

I know things happen and things will happen without much control and this is just a taste. That's little conciliation when one of those things happen and you were a part of it or at least a contributing factor.

2 comments:

  1. It was scary but the S.O. is definitely not a bad dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday we were at my mother-in-law's house, and Robbie was playing at the baby gate at the lower landing of her stairs. (Three stairs up, then baby gate, then landing, then big flight of stairs up.) So he was on the landing, holding onto the baby gate and laughing at the dog on the other side. I thought, "Hmm, he could probably knock that open accidentally and fall down those three steps onto the hardwood floor. Nah, that won't happen." And I wandered off to finish what I was doing upstairs.

    Guess who has a bump on his head today? Guess who feels like a bad mom?

    Anyway, the point is this: Shit happens. He'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete