Monday, April 16, 2012

Daddy talk: Birthday party edition

I had been debating on whether or not to invite my mom to the kiddie portion of our planned 1st birthday party at The Little Gym. My mom tends to be a clean freak that likes to monopolize the time with the boy and not let him have fun. I had been debating it a lot and decided to just invite her. I did do it the day before as she was already invited to the other 1st party at the house.


Anyhow, I called her up the Saturday before and asked if she wanted to come. She said she couldn't come because my brother wouldn't get off until 2 p.m. that day. I said no problem, I would pick her up and my brother could take her back home. Back and forth we went, finally she said she'd give my brother a call to figure out the details and that she would call back. She never did. 

I figured she wasn't into the idea of The Little Gym, which really wasn't a terrible thing. It wasn't terrible until 5 O'clock rolled around. By that time we were an hour into the second party and my mother and brother were a no show. I gave her a call and she promptly answered. My first question is are you coming to Milo's birthday party?  She said yes, then I told her again that it was on Sunday, actually my words were that the party was right now. She was surprised, thinking that the party was on his actual birthday. Same story with my brother. My brother had been in the loop on both parties for weeks now. Either way my family who lives in town were a no show to my son's first birthday while Pam's aunt came all the way from Manhattan, KS.

Anyway, I know the boy won't remember and I will not be seething over it long term but there will never be any pictures of my family at his birthday parties. Sucks a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Your hurt is evident and my heart hurts for you. That's something that "I'm sorry" doesn't fix and that's unfortunate in many ways. Sad it happened but Milo's day was awesome despite the disappointment.

    ReplyDelete