Wednesday, May 9, 2012

That's what friends are for

I count myself lucky to be able to say I have had many true friends in my life. I have had more than my share of good friends -- the kinds of friends who are always there for you; the kind that you can go months (even years) without talking and see them and pick up right where you left off; friends who don't judge me; friends who laugh at my bad jokes, hold my hand through bad times and help me celebrate the good times.

I have friends I have known for longer than I'd care to admit and love like family. I have newer friends who have been through some rough times with me (and I also love like family). And I have a few brand new friends who have quickly become very near and dear to my heart.

I have a tendency to be protective of my friends. It doesn't matter if they're younger or older than I am, I turn into a mother hen. I often end up trying to take care of my friends. I'm not always good at it, but I want to -- even if that protection isn't always welcome. Funny how some people don't want me to mother hen them. Go figure.

I hope I can teach by example and show Milo what it means to be a friend. I hope he is blessed with the quality of friends I have been blessed with, if not the quantity. I count myself lucky to have had even one true friend.

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
--  Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. I'm honored to count you among my friends. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said, Lisa. I, too, am honored to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete