Monday, May 7, 2012

Daddy talk: Hobby horse

I have too many hobbies. I bike, shoot guns and bows, fly planes, build models, read four books at a time, play computer games and play the piano. I have kites in the box along and woodworking projects waiting to be cut. I have a passing understanding of so many things but I'm certainly not exceptional at any one thing. It's all so very broad to be worthless sometimes.


The worst thing is that even though I know that I need to stick with something, I always get a tad bored and move on. I get a reasonable understanding of a subject and move on. I get to a point where I am better than any Joe off the street and boom -- done. All my life I have wanted to be a jack of all trades but now find that's not really a great skill. The question is how do I keep Milo from taking that path.
I really want Milo to be the guy who runs something down. Somebody who gets really interested in something and sticks with it. Not the OCD level but really interested level. I think the unfortunate thing is I don't want to relive my failures through my son. Maybe it's the steady hand I need to work on for myself.....Wait. What was I talking about?

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 08, 2012

    I think your exceptional at least at one thing and its the thing that matters most, being Milo's dad. When it comes down to it thats all that really matters!!! Oh and don't worry about Milo if he is anything like his cousin he will always have video games..........ugh!!! Melinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 09, 2012

    Doing so many things is not at all a bad thing Albert. If it is the one thing it will stick. Getting stuck in one thing and never trying anything else can only lead to being better than the average Joe, but you will never know if you may have been the very best at something else. What if Jordan had never played basketball and had only tried baseball...epic fail. Give that young man a chance to try it all and something may stick. You will always have each other and that is all that really matters.

    ReplyDelete