Monday, November 5, 2012

You can't change time

Time changes make me grumpy -- or grumpier than usual if you ask the S.O. I think changing our clocks twice a year is outdated and serves no real purpose. I'm sure it did once. And there are experts who will say it still does. Maybe.
"One of the biggest reasons we change our clocks to Daylight Saving Time (DST) is that it reportedly saves electricity. Newer studies, however, are challenging long-held reason."
Whatever the reason may be, the people who make this happen do not live with a toddler. Small people who can't tell time have their own schedules to begin with. Why would you want to screw it up just when you've either (a) gotten used to it or (b) gotten them into a schedule you can work with?

I once read that it takes us up to a week to adjust to one hour difference -- like when we travel to a different time zone. I think it takes a toddler much longer to adjust. I tried keeping Milo up to his normal bedtime last night (an hour later than the night before). He was grumpy and tired and still woke up at 5:45 a.m. instead of 6:45 a.m. He doesn't care what the clock says.

I know how you feel, buddy.

The dark mornings come so gradually, I think we're used to them by this time of year. Then we shock our systems by having the sun come up an hour earlier. Ugh. Sure we get an extra hour that day. And once upon a time, I appreciated the extra sleep. But with an 18-month-old in the house, there is no extra sleep.

Did I mention the time change makes me grumpy?

No comments:

Post a Comment