Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Because ...

Dear Milo,

I'm writing to you today, not because you're X number of months old, but because I want you to know something. I want you to know the world isn't a terrible place. I know there will be times in your life (much like this summer has been) where the world seems to be filled with chaos and hate. Still, despite the acts of horror committed by mad men, despite the havoc wreaked by Mother Nature, despite unkind words spoken without thought, the world is amazing.

 
You, my beautiful son, are proof of that. The world is full of people who do good deeds and speak kind words and go out of their way to treat others with respect and love. Mother Nature produces beauty beyond measure. You are loved beyond words. I want to raise you in such a way that you will be able to find hope and beauty and love in the world no matter what. I don't want you to be a Pollyanna by any means. But I do want you to always search for that silver lining. There's nothing wrong with being a realist, but let's work really hard together to not be pessimists.

I love you. Carry that in your heart even when times are tough.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 26, 2012

    Beautifully said. I hope everyone hugged their children a little tighter, and gave a couple more hugs.

    ReplyDelete