Sunday, April 7, 2013

Daddy Talk: Health wise

It always seems to happen around my birthday, something to remind me I am getting older. This year it was popping a rib during a deep breath. It eventually got mostly back into place, but during the visits to the doctor my blood pressure was much higher than usual. I usually have borderline high blood pressure. Somewhere near 125/85 is my average. But during that time, it was 150/110. Besides being a bit upset with my doctor for saying these things just happen, I was really worried.

I feel the aches and pains of getting older. I get hurt, and things heal just a little slower. I know it's nothing different than anybody else but I get more worried.


My dad passed away at 52. He was what would be considered a train wreck of problems: heart and lung problems, diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, chronic infections, amputations. I think that covers it. It's a laundry list of things. Most of those I think I can avoid because I don't smoke and try to keep in shape but I still worry what's in store for myself and Milo.

I definitely worry about passing on something genetic. I hope the boy doesn't end up with the high blood pressure or the arthritis. I also really want to be around to see him grow up. If something were to happen when I'm 52, he'd only be 17. I don't want him losing his dad or being trapped by trying to be around to help his sick dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment