Sunday, April 14, 2013

Daddy Talk: It's just stuff

When I was a young man I did some foolish things. One thing I remember is dumping an aquarium in the living room. It had a frog and some fish and a lot of water. I remember using our house vacuum to suck up the fish, frog and water. Luckily I didn't fry myself or my brother. That memory set me on a quest to find that vacuum. Searching the Internet I saw that it was made by a company called Tristar and it was expensive. The vacuum was well built, and the company is still around.

I am not nostalgic enough to go and buy one now for myself but it made me appreciate my parents. Although I remember dumping the aquarium I don't remember being punished for both destroying the expensive vacuum and killing the fish. My parents were only concerned that my brother and I were OK.

On my boy's 2nd birthday, that is all I care about; his well being. Most things are just things, only possessions that can be replaced. Things can be bought and bought, and I expect things to be ruined. Accidents happen, but I will keep him safe. And I'll probably buy my mom an expensive vacuum.

No comments:

Post a Comment