Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mommy Time Movie Review

Because I don't really get out to the movies much, I watch a lot of Netflix. And because I have a 2-year-old, I don't watch a lot of grown-up movies. But last night I watched "The Switch," starring Jason Bateman and Jennifer Aniston.

I hate to admit that I really kind of liked it. Nevermind that it's a romantic comedy and we're supposed to hate those. Nevermind that it only gets a 5.9 rating on IMDb and a "rotten" 51% on RottenTomatoes.com. Nevermind that I feel like Jennifer Aniston is always reprising her role as Rachel from "Friends." She's pretty and relatable, and I also kind of feel like we'd actually be friends. Nevermind that Jason Bateman's character is a bit of a neurotic jerk. We all know we'd choose him over the other guy. (At least those of us of a certain age, anyway.)

Nevermind that the story -- while "based on" a short story by Jeffery Eugenides, the Pulitzer Prize winning author of "Middlesex" -- is silly and ultimately predictable. What romantic comedy isn't?

Nevermind all that. The little boy in the movie really is a mini version of Jason Bateman and is Adorable (yes, with a capital A). The story might be silly and predictable, but it's also sweet and cute. This isn't a great film. It certainly didn't win any awards. And I don't recommend it for the truly cynical. But for light-hearted fun that doesn't tax your brain or make you worry about the economy or war, this is a good movie.

It's guilty pleasure fare for sure. You might want to watch it alone some place no one will see you watching. Pair it with some dark chocolate, red wine and your most comfy jammies, and you've got some good old fashioned Mommy Time for yourself.

It's streaming on Netflix, so you don't even have to leave your house. No one has to know you liked a bad romantic comedy. Unless you blog about it, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Netflix and I have a close relationship and I will freely admit I watch a lot of Romantic Comedies, well with touch Supernatural Tv Series thrown in for good measure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession: I kinda liked that movie too.

    ReplyDelete