Thursday, September 13, 2012

Daddy Talk: Getting Outdoors

I don't remember too many outdoor excursions with my parents from when I was a kid. I know my dad liked to fish, and I really didn't take much advantage of that. Truth be told, I am sure I was pretty whiny.

I remember three trips: One to Memorial Park to fish in the lake there, another more recent trip to fish at 11 Mile reservoir and camping in the Bronco in the driveway. I don't remember ever camping in a tent.

I think my dad liked to do those things when he was younger, but for some reason we never got around to it.


I went with Pam and Milo to Fox Run Park and did a little trail hiking recently. It was a few hours long but it was really fun. The boy enjoyed getting out and watching the scenery go by as he rode in the backpack some family friends gave us.

I want my family to be outdoorsy. I want us to go four-wheeling. I want us to see the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore. I want us to really enjoy the things that are available to us, like camping and hunting, but maybe not fishing (I still think it's gross).

I don't know why I want this other than just because. I keep remembering a saying: "I do not regret the things I've done, but those I did not do."

My life is full of paths not taken. I don't want Milo to be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment